David Quakenbush, Chief Development Officer, Peach Tree Health
Peach Tree conducts sports physicals at Live Oak High School every year. From left to right: Ruben Ruiz, Elizabeth Sanchez, Sarb Gil, and Ana Valezquez.
Chronic disease rates in Yuba-Sutter counties are among the highest in entire state.
- The death rate due to heart disease in Yuba County is the sixth highest among California’s 58 counties. Sutter County is the 11th highest.
- Yuba-Sutter has the third highest diabetes hospitalization rate in the state.
- One third of our children are overweight or obese. Two thirds of adults are overweight or obese.
We see people with chronic disease everywhere – at work, at school, at church, at the store, even on a walk along Colusa Highway. They’re our friends and neighbors.
Chronic disease is a huge financial burden not only on the individuals affected, but also on families, businesses, and local governments:
- In Yuba-Sutter, we spend $375M per year, or 25% our healthcare dollars, on treating diabetes, cancer, and heart disease alone.
- An average hospital visits costs $10,000 a day. A trip to the ER costs the more than $1,200.
- A person who smokes consumes $2000 more a year in healthcare services than a non-smoker.
With prevention, this money could be spent on education, housing, and other goods and services that improve the quality of life and spur real economic growth.
Peach Tree Health brings hope to this situation through effective treatment and prevention. We are on the front lines everyday providing care to thousands who are at risk for developing a chronic disease, especially those in the low-income bracket.
Peach Tree Health is addressing the root causes of chronic disease by expanding our services beyond the exam room into the places where people live, work and play. We are building new infrastructure for:
- Community outreach and education
- Chronic disease support groups
- “Living with Chronic Conditions” workshops
- Diabetic and nutritional counseling
- Cancer early detection
- Coordination of community-based services
- Case management and home visits
Join us in the fight against chronic disease. Together we can make Yuba-Sutter a healthier and better place to live!