On August 13, Peach Tree Health celebrated National Health Center Week at its health center in Yuba City. 130 guests attended the lunch event that was themed “Celebrating Our Legacy, Shaping Our Future.”
The speakers included CA Assemblyman James Gallagher, Sutter County Supervisor Dan Flores, Sutter County Assistant Director of Human Services Amerjit Bhattal, and Peach Tree CEO Greg Stone. Peach Tree Board Member and former Director of Sutter County Human Services Ed Smith was the master of ceremonies.
- Ed Smith told the audience that Peach Tree Health started as a partnership between the Fremont Rideout health group and Yuba County. To exemplify Peach Tree’s mission and qualify of work, he pointed to several pictures of patients that were on display next to him and explained their extraordinary medical turnaround stories.
- Supervisor Flores spoke about the history of the health center movement in America and the critical role Peach Tree Health fills in helping Sutter County meets its obligation to care for the underserved.
- Assistant Director Bhattal paid tribute to the collaboration her department has with Peach Tree in addressing the burden of chronic disease in Sutter County. “That’s what makes me feel good about staying in public health,” she said.
- Assemblyman Gallagher expressed his gratitude to health center workers everywhere and appealed to the audience to lobby lawmakers for restored Medi-Cal funding. “Call the governor’s office,” he said.
- Peach Tree CEO Greg Stone pointed out that 2015 marks the 50th anniversary of America’s health center and next year will be Peach Tree’s 25th anniversary. “We are all here serving, because this is where we think health care should be,” he said.
All the food for the event was sourced locally. The main entree was BBQ meat and vegetable skewers prepared by Peach Tree Human Resources Manager, Michelle Cowdery, and Peach Tree staff. The side dishes were prepared by Yuba County Supervisor and Peach Tree Board Chair John Nicoletti. They included a sumptuous rice dish, fresh coleslaw, and a beautiful fruit platter.
Read Press Coverage: